THE HOLE

THE HOLE . . . . . .

Friday 11/04/11 the first night my son spent at the jail they stuck him in the hole to prevent him from killing himself.


The hole is about 10x10 and there's a mattress with a blanket and a toilet that doesn't work and no toilet paper. Wolfe asked for toilet paper but they just ignored him. The threw him in their naked and that's how he stayed for 24 hours. When he got out he told the guard that if that's how they keep people from killing themselves it's not going to work. And the guard said that that's how they do it there.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The inmates

Had a few calls from my son and we had an arguments over getting out. I guess I misunderstood or maybe just being a mom. But when your son is so upset and says he needs to get out that doesn't mean he expects it right now. But as a mom that's what I'm thinking and it I feel like I'm not doing everything I can.

We had some words, he hung up and called back. And now I understand more and realize that just knowing that maybe I can find a way out, still look for a solution, even tho it's not happening now is really all he wants. Well, he really wants out but right now it's not on the horizon.

Then he told me about a guy in there who's a really great artist. Art is big in our family , we're art lovers. And then he tells me about a 40 yo man who tells him that when he gets out, don't do drugs, get yourself together and don't come back to jail. This man has been in before and now he says his life is over. They look after one another and try to help each other out. The jailers and courts don't. I tell my son I wish I could thank all those people that he has met and who are watching his back. It means so much to me and him. But probably no one will think of those prisoners are human beings. Society doesn't and certainly the jailers don't.

There is more humanity inside those bars than there is on the outside. I feel for these people. Our society is really fucked up when we have caring people locked up and treated like animals when it's the ones who do the locking up who are the ones who are sick fucks.

My son had to hang up so he could get in line for his small roll of toilet paper. My son is one of those people who will use a half a roll during a session, but now he uses a sheet or 2. He shares the roll with his bunkmate.

Face, his bunkmate is a muslim. Wolfe tells me that Face went to the church they have there, if you can call it that, and said something to the preacher how it would be nice to have a place for him as well, being Muslim. And the preacher pretty much said that if they allowed it he would fight it. Nice guy. . . But Wolfe said he was thinking about going with Face on Friday night to join him in his religious practice. Wolfe is atheist and so am I. Now don't think he's going god fearing cause he's not. He just respects when people actually want to use their religion to raise their spirits. I told him I would go if I were him. And he says it's at least a positive thing instead of all the negative stuff he gets from the guards.

No comments:

Post a Comment